Graaff Reinet Budget Accommodation -|- The easiest way to find and book accommodation in Graaff Reinet
Graaff Reinet Accommodation – Browse Online For Your Graaff Reinet Self Catering, Bed and Breakfast Accommodation – Graaff Reinet Budget Family Holiday Accommodation
Situated half way Gauteng and the Western Cape Graaff Reinet is ideally situated as an ideal cheap overnight stop over between many of the major centres in South Africa, but it is the visitor who takes the time out to explore this unique area, who will experience the adventure of a lifetime during their budget family holidays.
The route via Graaff Reinet is the best access between the Goldfields of Gauteng and the spectacular Garden Route starting from St Francis Bay and ending at the scenic wine lands of Paarl and Stellenbosch finally leading you to your family holiday is Cape Town.
The original Dutch Reformed church in the town is a prominent stone building in the high street with seating facilities for 1500 people. The building is a reproduction of the Salisbury Cathedral and is typical of numerous other towns in the Klien Karoo Towns such as Gariep.
The Graaff Reinet college is an educational centre of some importance; it was rebuilt in 1906 and has turned Graaff Reinet into a flourishing market for agricultural produce, the district being noted for its mohair industry, sheep and ostrich farming.
The Valley of Desolation is a short 10 minute drive from Graaf Reinet (approximately 13km) ,besides being a geological wonder of weathered dolomite pillars which is a declared national monument with magnificent views over the Karoo plains, the valley also boasts an incredibly diversity of karoo fauna and flora. The wildlife found in the Addo National Park is also bountiful with Cape Buffalo, Cape Mountain Zebra and the heaviest fling bird in the world – the Kori Bustard,
- Tourist Attractions
The Camdeboo National Park of 200 km², on the outskirts of the town with its interesting flora and fauna.
- Stretch’s Court, a picturesque restored street of Karoo cottages with brightly painted shutters and doors.
- Reinet House Museum – a Cape Dutch building, formerly the Dutch Reformed Church parsonage
- The Agave Distillery – a distillery producing tequila from the agave plant.
- The Karoo architecture.
- The Dutch Reformed Church in the centre of the town. This Dutch Reformed Church is the only known church in South Africa and possibly in the world to have a kitchen and a chimney.
- The Drostdy Hotel – A Cape Dutch building erected in 1806 as the local seat of government by the VOC. Currently a hotel